The story of the beginning of exploration, trade and settlement in the area is
portrayed in this cairn which is located in the Fort, at the "S.S. D.A. Thomas"
picnic site along River Road (Peace Drive).
Photo by Marilee Cranna Toews, Fort Vermilion
In 1788, Charles Boyer of the North West Company founded the first post on the Peace River. "Boyers Post" or "Old Establishment" was on the north side of the Peace about five miles downstream from today's Fort Vermilion.
Fort Vermilion Heritage Centre Bicentennial
Collection Accession No: 9188.8.131.52
Prime Minister Brian Mulroney unveiled the plaque for the National Historic
Cairn on July 30,1988 at Fort Vermilion.
Click here to return to attractions
Acknowledgements: Summer Career Placement Program staff, Keith Klassen
(2004/2005) & Jordan Lambert (2006) and
Cranna Toews of the Fort Vermilion Agricultural Society