Photo by Marilee Cranna Toews, Fort Vermilion
In and around Fort Vermilion are an abundance of finely crafted dove-tailed log houses that were made from logs hand-hewn with a broad axe. One of note is the Bourassa/St. Germain
House which serves as our tourist/visitor information centre.
The house was built around 1923 by Johnny Bourassa. It was originally located along the Peace River where the Murray Building now stands.
Clay mixed with water formed a paste-like product that was used to chink between the logs. It was not unusual to mix old rope, hair and other substances with the chinking. A light coloured clay was made into slurry that was used to "white-wash" the buildings inside and out.
This house was exposed to an interior fire which charred the second story floor beams and planks, but fortunately did not destroy it.
We invite you to visit the Log House from June through August for travel information, souvenirs and local crafts.
Click here to return to attractions
Acknowledgements: Summer Career Placement Program staff, Keith Klassen
(2004/2005) & Jordan Lambert (2006) and
Cranna Toews of the Fort Vermilion Agricultural Society